Saturday, November 3, 2012

Crock Pot Queen

When I was growing up, I could always tell when we were having pot roast for dinner. I would come home from school and the house would be filled with delicious smells. My mom loved (and still loves) cooking in a crock pot. You can throw all your ingredients into the pot, turn the thing on, and let it do its thing for hours on end without having to worry about it.

With no kitchen to speak of, I have gotten quite good at crock pot cooking. Chicken taco rice bowls, a great beef stew, Thai-inspired peanut chicken, everything's been delicious. Last night, I made brown sugar chicken and sweet potatoes, and let me tell you how easy this recipe is.

It's really easy.

There are four ingredients: 2 lbs of chicken breast, 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks, 5 tbsp of butter (melted), and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Throw the chicken and sweet potatoes in the crock pot, mix the butter and brown sugar, pour it into the pot, sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste, and cook it for 5-6 hours on high.

Y'all. It wasn't pretty (hence the distinct lack of photographic evidence), but it was damn tasty. And it smelled so good while it was cooking that the contractor for the kitchen remodel asked for the recipe. Next time, I'll be adding a little cinnamon just to give it a little extra oomph.

On the remodeling front, progress is being made. The new cabinets are in and the painting is, for the most part, finished. Countertops are being delivered Monday and as soon as those are in, the tile backsplash can go in and appliances can be installed. And then it's just a waiting game until the county inspector comes and says everything's good to go and we can actually plug all the appliances in. And then I'll have a kitchen again! I. Can't. Wait.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY DOG. That sounds FAB. I love my crock pot too. I've been trying recipes but it's been somewhat hit and miss. But this one sounds very simple -- enough that even I can't screw it up. :)

    Thanks tweasel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good. Well, sweet potatoes aside, because I'm not a fan. But, it would probably be good with russet potatoes, too.

    You really can cook just about anything in a crock pot. A couple of years, when my best friend and I went to LosCon and didn't want to have to eat in he onsite restaurant, she took along a crock pot and fed a bunch of people all weekend. And all of it was good.

    ReplyDelete